Monday, November 15, 2010

I made a lucky find in my craft bin & progress update

I found a now-discontinued pattern that can be used (with modifications) to make a men's shirt, doublet, hat, and pants. The pattern is actually for leggings, but as none of my guys wear those, I just cut it larger to make the pants. My husband's jerkin was made using an old shirt that was cut up, with a few modifications and extra seam allowance added. Now that I have this pattern, though, that shirt can now be used for other items thta need to be a bit smaller.

At the local thrift store, I was lucky to find some fabric at a really great price to work with as well. I have sewn the linen pants for Peter and need only to attach the codpiece and do the waist and leg casings. I have cut out a pair of poofy pants from a light blue for him, which will have strips attached and will look more like pluderhosen than the linen pants. For this pair, I plan to make a codpiece that is shaped a bit differently, also.

I made Eddie another pair of pants as well and have another pair cut out. Added to the tan trousers I had already sewn, that is three more pairs for him. It seems that at least part of his wardrobe of garb is well on its way. I will cut out his next jerkin this evening, which may possibly have sleeves that can be attached to make a doublet. It just depends on what he decides. Right now, he is opting for no sleeves, mostly to save me time, but I can always add a strip with eyelets later, though, if he changes his mind.

For Ben, I took some of the fabric from the thriftstore, a red and white striped woven fabric, and have sewn trousers. Also, the linen trousers are cut out and ready to be sewn up. His next tunic, a green one from a cotton/linen blend is already cut out, trim chosen, ready to be sewn. I am going to also give making a cover for his head a try. I have some yellow linen that is left from a tunic that will become a tabard for Ben, also. Along with looking nice, it will help him to keep his tunic a bit cleaner.

For me, the first giornea is cut out most of the way and I cut out the pieces to make two cauls. I had started one a couple of weeks ago but have misplaced it. Knowing me, it got lost when I took it with me to work. My next gown, a green one from an olive shade is planned. The skirt is sewn and now I need only to make the bodice. I am going to try a different approach this time, one that I am hoping will be easier, so we'll see how that goes. I am still working on the eyelets for the bodice that I made to go with a skirt (quick and easy garb that is period-ish) for when I need something garb-wise that stands a good chance of getting dirty.

The goal of one piece of garb per person per week is not being met as of yet, but I see progress being made and at a fairly good pace. As I can, I will take pictures and will post them.

Well, off to the sewing machine...

No comments: